In no particular order, these are people or groups that I have personal association with. I guess this is like a personal blogroll, or something. Annotated.
- Great Commission Ministries Churches. GCMC started in the 70s as a Jesus-people-ish network of churches with a passion for church-planting, one-on-one discipleship, and and emphasis on house churches. They continue today as an association or extended family of local churches with various links. I’ve been associated with them for almost 12 years: beginning as a student in I-Life, as a minister/leadership team member with that same church for a long while, and then as an Assistant to the National Elder board, assisting principally with events like GCM Ignite.
- Great Commission Ministries. A missions agency in Orlando FL that supports missional leaders by teaching them to raise funds and be fully supported while they serve under their own local context and leadership. Originally started by GCM Churches network, GCM Orlando now uses its experience to serve a wider variety of church networks and ministries. I’ve worked as an Intern, Associate, and Full-time staff member with GCM since 2000, I now serve as the national Staff Program Manager.
- Scot McKnight. I worked as his research assistant for about two years (although he was typically pretty kind when my own academic load was full, so the full number of hours is probably super indeterminate. Great conversations in his office about generally the random topic of the day. Jesus Creed is typically on my daily dish, although I’ve tended to give him guff in person instead of via the comment board.
- North Park Theological Seminary. A seminary since 1893 on the northwest side of Chicago (in the city), I didn’t wasn’t aware it existed until three months before I arrived. I found what I was looking for: a moderate evangelical seminary that was small and had a faculty and student body that gets a lot of face time. Completed my masters thesis here.
- Ecclesia. A relatively new support network of missional churches. My church in Chicago is now a member, but I have previous connections (see JR Woodward) and still wonder if I might have future ones.
- JR Woodward. A “thought mentor” of mine who has connections to both GCM and Ecclesia, JR was my first big push towards pastoring from a missional mindset. Exemplifies it. I first met him as a college kid, so that’s a long while ago.
- Life on the Vine. My most missional church home in Chicago, IL. Dave Fitch is one of the pastors and sits on the board of Ecclesia.
- GCMC Colorado LT. A Christian leadership training program for college students that works as a partnership between GCMC and the YMCA of the Rockies. I’ve gotten the chance to help lead it over a few years, and still have power-packed memories.
- I-Life (Illini Life Christian Fellowship). The university church that I was on staff with from 2000 to 2007, and my home for longer. This is where I grew up and learned ministry. Still some of my best friends are still here.